Sunday, June 22, 2008

My current "locavore" craze...

I've always wondered whether human beings develop an ability to be opinionated at a certain age or whether it's in fact innate? There's certainly no shortage of critical opinions... over the past week, I have heard opinions about the state being involved in parenting, opinions regarding recent outcomes of First Nation's residential schools of years past, and opinions about oil, and how its rising price is going to affect our lives. I've also heard critical opinions of who was the worst dressed in Hollywood this week, and why Grey's Anatomy has gone downhill.
Add to the list of opinions that I am en "eco-snob" for writing about my local Ontario diet! I have, on occasion, been accused of being a little sensitive, but consider this... In the June 9th, 2008 issue of Maclean's, Andrew Potter wrote a piece on authenticity, and points the finger directly at people like me! He calls this whole "n-mile-diet game to be an utterly transparent form of status-seeking... it's all a bit of a laugh."
He argues that... "authenticity these days has something to do with ideas like organic and natural and local" in this whole "craze for local eating". He then goes on to call me "navel-gazing" and "narcissitic" in my quest for authenticity.

Until I read this, I had no idea how hard I was trying to be authentic! I knew I was trying to reduce the miles my food travels to get to my plate. I knew I was trying to support family farms instead of the factory farms that have a monopoly in our grocery stores. I knew I was trying to eat healthy. And I knew that I was trying to better understand where my food actually comes from. But thank you Mr. Potter for pointing out that I wasn't, in fact, doing any of this. Instead, I now see that I am making a misguided attempt simply to be authentic, and in doing so, am a snob. Perhaps I can forward your article to the likes of Barbara Kingsolver, bestselling and world renowned author who dedicated an entire book to the subject of local eating in her book Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, so that she too can join the ranks of snobbery. I would quite enjoy the conversation that would ensue between yourself and Barbara as you explain to her why she isn't authentic, let alone narcissistic. I'm sure she'd understand... you're both writers after all.
Below is the article in it's entirety.

http://www.macleans.ca/columnists/article.jsp?id=4&content=20080528_41576_41576


Well, my snobbery and narcissism will push on!
Above is a picture of fresh strawberries I purchased at the farmer's market this past weekend.
I can't begin to describe how they burst with flavour as they melt in your mouth!
Last night, I made my first stew. Into the crockpot went fresh Ontario stewing beef, fresh Ontario spuds, fresh Ontario snow peas, and fresh Ontario mushrooms. I added a bit of water, and 5 hours later, savoured every bite, including whole wheat bread with local Ontario-milled flour that I dipped into the au-jus. Delicious!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haha your passive-aggressiveness is funny.