Monday, June 16, 2008

Product of Canada...

Okay, a quick update... work has been busy and therefore I have been eating the same thing for lunch quite a bit; grilled cheese sandwiches! Granted they're the best grilled cheese sandwiches I've ever had, but Barb, one of the infamous "kitchen ladies" here at work, thought it would be a good idea to document exactly what I'm consuming. I will admit to getting a bit tired of eating the same things, but I think once I have a bit more time on my hands (next week!), I'll put a lot more effort into my meals. Also, people who know me well would tell you of my Coke addiction. It was usually two a day. I'm proud to report that I have not had a Coke in two weeks! Small victories in my world...

Okay... so in the fall of 2007, CBC aired a program on Marketplace about the Product of Canada label on food. Consumers were assuming that if their food had this label, the food was grown or made in Canada. Nope! It turns out that only 51% of the total cost of the product had to be Canadian. If you have 21 minutes in your day, I'm attaching the link, because this is worthwhile to watch. And because of this, I won't inundate you with any rants, other than this one fact that shone above the rest for me. High Liner frozen fish, which you can find in any grocery store carries Haddock and Wild Pacific Salmon, both fish that could be caught in Canadian waters. However, after some research was done, it turns out the fish are caught in Russian waters, shipped to China, then to Halifax or Maine, and then to the plant for processing. These fish have travelled over 25,000 kilometres to get to our plates... unbelievable!

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/product_of_canada_eh/

As a follow up, which you'll see if you go check this story out, Stephen Harper held a press conference this past May announcing that in our grocery stores, Product of Canada labels will mean that... "all or virtually all contents are Canadian."
Baby steps!

1 comment:

Lexi and Jenny said...

I saw your blog posted on the 100-mile diet web site. Thanks for trying out this diet and posting about it - it inspires me to do something similar. If you have access to bread, eggs, and cheese (which it sounds like you do), you could try making a savory bread pudding, just to mix things up. It's easy, and though they have to bake the prep time is really minimal. Stores well for leftovers too. If you have access to flour yourself (I couldn't tell if your 100mile store had flour alone or just bread), you could also make gnocchi with the potatoes. Good luck!