Saturday, October 4, 2008

Seasons changing...


Cell phones are ringing, coffee beans are being grinded and the newspaper stands outside are trying to appeal to Canadians interested in the sensational US vice presidential debates as well as the less exciting political race in our own country. I’m in Toronto on a beautiful fall morning – squirrels avoiding traffic and leaves just beginning to turn (pictured above is the lake I live on, where the colours have peaked and leaves are already falling). Over the last couple of weeks, my trips to the city have been numerous, as has my patronage to restaurants. I have struggled with consistency in eating locally and I am feeling somewhat disappointed. Work and school has created an environment that fills my waking hours – food, to an extent, has been put on the backburner. And my quest for knowledge of all things food has been temporarily replaced by just keeping my head above water, or so it feels.
There have been, however, some moments to smile about:
A delicious batch of butternut squash soup that has warmed me on these cool autumn days…
A reawakening of sorts about the spiritual side of food and the importance of giving thanks…
The appreciation I saw from a friend towards her dinner salad…
The genuine support from friends and family towards my local food adventure…

My sister and her husband just had a baby boy… Dylan is his name!
I wish them the best of luck in their new adventure.

No comments: